Visitors to Crete who do not already have personal and/or family travel insurance are advised to take out suitable cover prior to the date of travel.

By way of information an EHIC (formerly the E111) The ‘European Health Insurance Card’ (EHIC) has replaced the old E111.

E111’s ceased on 31 August 2005 and with effect from 1st January 2006 the E111 was no longer valid.

Whilst in Crete, if you are unfortunate enough to require medical attention a local doctor will either charge you directly for any treatment (in which case you would make a claim on your return to the UK), or, the doctor may charge your insurance company direct.

If you require hospital treatment, your insurance should cover for this treatment to be carried out in a private hospital.

If you require emergency treatment, this will probably be provided at a government (IKA) hospital or medical center, the cost of which may be covered by a EHI Card which is obtainable from most post offices in the UK.

For more information visit :

Here’s a few recommended travel insurance sites for you to consider